- Deadline: April 1, 2019
- Deadline Details: Apply early - Courses fill on a rolling admission basis.
- Award: Need based scholarships available
- Download Application
Join a two-week immersive experience for high school and incoming first-year students to explore University life and academics at the University of Montana’s Davidson Honors College. Learn from award-winning honors faculty, build connections with other curious students, and engage in what an honors education has to offer, including experiential learning and small class sizes. Choose between two environmentally-themed courses and receive three college credits.
Here are a few of the experiences you will have this summer in the Schwanke Honors Institute coordinated by the Davidson Honors College (DHC):
- A choice between two 3-credit courses taught by University of Montana faculty:
- Creative Writing in the Environment
- Climate Science, Society, and Solutions
- On-campus housing in the residence halls with fellow pre-college students and current students in the Davidson Honors College, who serve as residential staff and teaching assistants
- Structured days with morning class sessions, afternoon workshops to prepare for college opportunities, and local field trips to explore course topics
- Evenings to eat in the dining hall, finish homework in your dorm room, and attend group activities
- A 3-day field trip to Glacier National Park and the Blackfeet Reservation for an immersive study of environment and sustainability
Printable 2019 Schwanke Honors Institute Flyer
Students must have completed their freshman year of high school by June 2019. Enrollment in the Institute is limited to 20 students per class, so we encourage early applications. Please select the application link below to complete the online application:
Need-based Scholarships Available
Please note you will need the following documents to complete an online application:
- Student’s unofficial high school transcript.
- Statement of Interest: In 500 words or less, please describe your interest in participating in the Schwanke Honors Institute. Please be specific in the relevant experiences you have had, what you are interested in learning, and why you would like to participate in this institute.
- Name and contact information for a high school counselor as a reference, an unofficial copy of your high school transcript, and financial information, if you are interested in being considered for a need-based scholarship.
For more information or questions please contact:
Davidson Honors College – University of Montana – Missoula, MT 59812
Phone: (406) 243-2541 or email: email@example.com
The 2019 Schwanke Honors Institute is an immersive, two-week classroom and field-based program focused on the environment and sustainability. Students choose between two, three-credit courses taught by University of Montana Honors faculty. These courses draw from the University of Montana’s nationally-distinctive programs in creative writing and climate change studies.